Generally speaking, a relationship only works if both partners make the decision to trust each other. I have counseled quite a few women on the importance of either embracing a man and choosing to trust him, or getting out of the relationship if he is an untrustworthy person. A relationship that involves constant anxiety about whether he is cheating is not a relationship worth being in.
The tips I have for you today are for those early stages of a new relationship where it can be helpful to get some very basic information on a guy you only recently met. This is particularly important if you did not meet him through a mutual acquaintance.
See Where He Lives Without Going There
In the age of cell phones, this trick is becoming less useful, but for some men it will still work. Once you have his phone number, do the following to see where he lives:
1. Go to 411.com and click on “reverse phone ”
2. Type in his phone number and hit “search”
3. That will give you his address. Copy it down.
4. Go to google.com/maps and enter his address
5. When google shows you a map of his address, click the toggle button in the upper right hand corner of the map to switch to “satellite” mode.
6. Now zoom in a little so you can see the address better. You zoom in with the plus sign at the upper left side of the map.
7. Now click the little orange man on the upper left of the map (he’s right in the middle of the zoom in and zoom out function). Drag the little orange man to a spot on the road or driveway in front of the location you want to see. When you drop him somewhere you will suddenly see the view of that spot as if you were standing there. This is called street view, and it may not be available in all areas.
With street view you can move the camera side to side, forward, and even zoom in to see what kind of cars are parked in his neighborhood. It’s not a live picture. It was taken by google a while back, so you can’t spy on him or anything like that. It’s just a way to get a sense for what kind of neighborhood he lives in. Try it on your own home or a nearby shopping center. It’s kind of spooky how much you can zoom in to see details.
Want to know a little more about his job or his salary range? A tiny bit of research could give you some insights. With a few internet search tricks you may be able to learn quite a bit.
Let’s say he tells you he works for a Community Hospital in Somewhereville, Illinois. He doesn’t mention whether he’s a janitor or a surgeon, and you didn’t get the chance to ask yet. If it matters to you, here’s what you can do:
Find Out What He Does at Work:
1. Go to Google.com and put his name in quotes, like this: “John Doe.” Put a plus sign in front of the quotes. What that does is tell google you only want to see sites that include that exact name. Then type a space and another plus sign followed by the name of the organization he works for or just the name of the city where he works if you don’t know the organization name.
It should look like this: +”John Doe” + “Community Hospital”
Notice that there is not a space between the plus sign and the phrase you want to see in the search results.
What you’ll get is a webpage from his company that will often give you interesting information. If nothing else, it is likely you will find a page with contact information and a job title. If you’re lucky, you might find a page that describes his job duties or even a bio page.
Once you have a job description, you may not understand what it means. Occupational titles have become increasingly hard to decipher over the years. If it says, “IT Systems Engineer” you can figure out what that means by going to a website like the U.S government’s Occupational Outlook Handbook at http://www.bls.gov/ooh/ where you can type in the job in the search box and get a detailed description of what he does, what the salary range is for his occupation, and a bunch of other stuff.
I hope you enjoy the research, but don’t let numbers and job descriptions outweigh what your heart tells you about a guy.